National Addressing Project
The Malawi Government through the Malawi Communications Regulatory Authority (MACRA) is implementing a National Addressing System (NAS) Project aimed at giving physical addresses to every property in the country.
The NAS Project is a multi-stakeholder driven national project that will lead to the establishment of a comprehensive national addressing system in the country.
The project has the following components:
- A National Postcode System
- National Addressing Standards
- Address Database
- Physical Infrastructure
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Public Awareness and Sensitization
The project components have been placed under the responsibility of different sub-committees led by relevant stakeholders on the basis of their expertise. The running of the project activities and other secretarial duties are coordinated by MACRA.
The tangible project deliverables include the following:
- Complete, comprehensive street naming and property numbering throughout the country.
- Deployment and/or replacement of physical addressing infrastructure in residential and commercial areas throughout the country.
- Production of a comprehensive manual on street addressing for use by local councils in the country.
- Production of an approved National Postcode Directory with supporting legal instruments for its implementation.
- Production of a National Physical Addressing Standard in full compliance with the relevant standards and legislation’s.
- A National Address Database with a fully integrated GIS component.
- A comprehensive report on the pilot phase with recommendations for a nationwide roll out.
- A National Center for maintaining GIS and data bank.
BENEFITS OF THE PROJECT
Some of the benefits that come with national addressing system include the following:
- Increased revenue to Government through tax collection
- Effective response to emergency situations by Fire, Police and ambulance services
- Provision of verifiable proof of residence
- Effective identification and control of disease outbreaks
- Facilitation of domestic and cross border trade through provision for home delivery of services (e-commerce)
- Increased opportunities for private sector marketing and analysis through improved targeting.